Not made of bread, but still keeps us fed-sticks!
These are easy to make, portable snacks. They’re great for lunches and any time you might need a more sophisticated keto-safe nibble.
The recipe is essentially a savory meringue with psyllium husk and almond flour. Make sure to give the dry ingredients a thorough whisk to aerate the flours and distribute the magic evenly.
It’s a pretty ugly dough, don’t be dis-stir-bed! As soon as it is all the same inconsistent consistency, move on to chopping and shaping the dough.
The fastest route from sticky to stick, is to flatten the dough and slice off fingers. (Fingers of dough, not yours!) Don’t try to roll them- make sure your hands are greased up and squeeze them enough to make them round-ish.
Sprinkle with your desired disguise, here poppy and sesame seeds make for a very realistic selection.
Un-stick the sticks from each other and give them a turn halfway through cooking so they crisp up all over.
The next challenge is to not eat them all at once. Unless, that was the plan from the start. Then it’s all good.
Here’s the nutritional information for one portion of this recipe. Please note this is calculated in Cronometer, as some of the values from Yumprint were a little odd and I wanted to make sure this captured all the ingredients properly.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp salt
- Poppy Seeds 1tsp
- Sesame Seeds 1tsp
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Whisk the dry ingredients (except the sesame and poppy seeds) in a large bowl, making sure to break up any lumps.
- Make sure your water is freshly boiled and add this to the bowl, stir for about 10 seconds and add the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl. Mix for a further 30 seconds or so- it should be quite a lumpy, sticky dough.
- Grease a surface and turn out the dough, flattening it to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut 1/2 inch wide fingers out of the dough. Grease your hands with a bit of olive oil, and then squeeze the slices into a more rounded stick shape.
- Place onto a baking tray (either spray, oil, or lined) trying to keep at least an inch between them. Add your chosen sprinkles and bake on the lower rack for 30minutes.
- Halfway through, remove from the oven (and if necessary, remove from each other) and turn them so every side crisps up.
- When they have finished baking, if you have time, turn the oven off and leave another 10 minutes to dry out and go crispy!