Some brave folk can go it all healthy, all the time. My own keto journey would certainly not have been as successful without a few cheats-that-are-not-really-cheats. This is my favourite!
This recipe uses a blend of almond flour, coconut flour and cocoa as the powder base. When you whip up a batch, it’s so easy to make extra portions of the dry ingredients. This means you have a cake mix ready to go, and all you’ll need to add is the egg, vanilla and butter!
The only equipment required is two mugs! And a microwave. And a spoon or two…
Feel free to add any additional flavours you like! Here on the left is some cream and frozen raspberries for a tart explosion, and on the right is a splodge of almond butter for a nutty pocket of goodness. Chopped nuts and cacao nibs are great too!
Here’s the nutritional information for one portion of this recipe. Please note this is calculated in Cronometer, as some of the values from Yumprint were a little odd and I wanted to make sure this captured all the ingredients properly.
- 2tbsp Almond Flour
- 1tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2tsp Coconut Flour
- 1/2tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 2tbsp Butter, Salted
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4cup whipped Cream
- Take two mugs. In one mug, melt the butter in the microwave (20-40seconds, keep an eye on it!)
- In the other mug add all the dry ingredients and stir to combine well, getting rid of any lumps and aerating the mix.
- When the butter is completely melted, tip in the dry ingredients and stir through. Then add the egg and the vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Divide batter between the two mugs and add any optional extras (cacao nibs, raspberries, chopped nuts, a splodge of nut butter)
- Microwave for 45s to a minute. If you prefer a lava style cake, check earlier and remove whilst the center of the surface is still shiny. If you prefer a fully cooked cake, microwave until the shininess is gone.
- To serve, pour cream or dollop whipped cream on top. This will soak into the cake making it moist, rich and puddingy.
- You can premix and portion the dry ingredients and store for an even quicker fix!